New FE season

Snap Matt

New FE season

Post by Snap Matt » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:56 am

New cars, new (old) drivers, new broadcaster in the UK, new tracks (like you can tell them apart half the time anyway), new rules, new race format, new, new, new.

There are a lot of big changes this year, with a faster car that can, or at least should, run for a full race and now the events are defined by time rather than distance. Massa and Vandoorne have joined the other F1 refugees on the grid so it should be interesting to see who will adapt to become a JEV and who will be the next JV. The calendar is still full of gaps and they haven't gone for the real Monaco track, but last season was pretty good and hopefully it has all moved forward with these changes.

Snap Matt

Re: New FE season

Post by Snap Matt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:13 pm

First post of 2019, if anyone is reading.

Two good races from Formula E with the new regulations. It would be nice to have an event with no safety car to see how much that is boosting the closeness of the racing. Even F1 could manage an exciting finish with the pack closed right up for a one or two lap sprint to the end. I reckon that the field is pretty close anyway and there isn't much point in building up a large lead with the current race format.

The attack mode has been interesting; arguably less artificial than DRS, I think. The cars seem to be a lot faster than they were and look great on track as well.

It is very, very different to F1, for the better and for the worse, but this season is a huge improvement from the previous years. Roll on race three.

JMFangio

Post by JMFangio » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:15 pm

Matt

Where can I find a calendar & details of where to watch on TV? UK & France?

Snap Matt

Post by Snap Matt » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:23 am

JMFangio wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:15 pm
Matt

Where can I find a calendar & details of where to watch on TV? UK & France?
Official site

I guess they do a similar page for France too. As far as I know there isn't a difference between coverage on the different channels. The BBC is just carrying Formula E's broadcast with Jack Nicholls and Dario Franchitti commentating, just with their corporate ident helpfully superimposed over the clock so you can't readily see how much of the race is left. Sadly, Vernon Kay reappeared in the last race's short pre-race coverage too, bringing his usual polish and professionalism along with that oh-so charming Bolton accent.

Cut and paste of the remaining calendar from the BBC is below.

Round 3 - Chile
Santiago, Saturday, 26 January

18:30-20:30 - Race, BBC Red Button, Connected TV and online

Round 4 - Mexico
Mexico City, Saturday, 16 February

21:30-23:30 - Race, BBC Red Button, Connected TV and online

Sunday, 17 February

07:45-09:45 - Race (replay), BBC Red Button, Connected TV and online

Round 5 - China
Hong Kong, Sunday, 10 March

07:00-09:30 - Race, BBC Two

18:00-20:30 - Race (replay), BBC Red Button, Connected TV and online

Round 6 - China
Sanya, Saturday, 23 March

Round 7 - Italy
Rome, Saturday, 13 April

Round 8 - France
Paris, Saturday, 27 April

Round 9 - Monaco
Monaco, Saturday, 11 May

Round 10 - Germany
Berlin, Saturday, 25 May

Round 11 - Switzerland
Bern, Saturday, 22 June

Round 12 - USA
New York City, Saturday, 13 July

Round 13 - USA
New York City, Sunday, 14 July

Snap Matt

Post by Snap Matt » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:18 pm

Another fun race - a bit messy here and there with some sloppy moves, probably helped by the dodgy track conditions.

It was good to see Wehrlein earn a podium and Vandoorne looked a bit more settled until he comprehensively slammed his car into a wall. I have never got to grips with exactly how qualifying works in this category, but I understand that the lead drivers in the standings are at a disadvantage by all going out in the first group when track conditions are usually worst. That must contribute to the strong starting positions for some of the newer drivers so far this season.

There was a lot of talk about the cars shutting down if their battery temperature reach 72C. That didn't sound very high, until I heard a comment today that the previous generation car's battery would shut down around 55C. A similar issue did seem to stop Wehrlein's attack in the last two laps and Bird looked like he would have run out of energy to defend if that hadn't been the case. At least it wasn't a safety car affected finish anyway.

Best of all, the BBC finally shifted their ident to the right corner so you could read the time remaining throughout the race.